Kawakawa | Piper Excelsum
Botanical Name: Piper excelsum
Common Names: Kawakawa, New Zealand Peppertree
Botanical Family: Piperaceae
Parts Used: Leaves & fruit
Kawakawa is a small evergreen shrub-like tree, that can grow up to six meters high. In its natural state, Kawakawa is densely branched, aromatic, with natural large heart shaped emerald green & fleshy leaves. The zigzag branches are swollen & jointed at the nodes, similar to the bamboo stem.
The leaves are approximately 5-10cm long and are often holed, chewed by the native NZ looper moth. The fruit is a yellow/orange, conical berry, each of which contains a single seed.
Kawakawa is commonly found in semi-shaded areas of native bush, usually in coastal and lake regions in the North Island, the top of the South Island & The Chatham Islands.
Volatile Oil – 45-70% in essential oils & 1.6-2.5% in the dry herb (mostly myristicin)
Mixed cadinenes – 12.2 % essential oils – 0.43% in dry herb
The presence of other pharmacological active compounds such as flavonoids and alkaloids seems likely, based upon analysis of related species.
- Diaphoretic & Circulatory stimulant
- Myristicin is reported to have anti-tumor activity
- Natural immune support
Indications – external use:
- Skin conditions such eczema, skin rashes
- Boils, sores, abscesses & skin infections
- Cuts, wounds & abrasions
- Insect bites, sand-flies, mosquitoes & bug bites
- Poor circulation, varicose veins, chilblains & raynauds
- Bruises & swellings
- Fungal, warts & ringworm,scalds and sun burn
- Aches & pains, rheumatism, neuralgia, arthritis
- Acts as a mild insect repellent
- Circulatory insufficiency including chilblains
- Anti-inflammatory activity. Neuralgia, rheumatic & arthritic pains and bruises.
- Stomach pains, indigestion, bloated-ness due to over eating or allergy food types (ie:wheat products)
- Digestive aid & carminative effects.
- Skin conditions, such as eczema boils & rashes – internal & external
- Circulatory insufficiency, chilblains, arterial & Raynard’s disease.
- Colds, coughs, bronchitis, worm infestations.
- Gonorrhea & syphilis – internal & external
- Debility, general fatigue, lack of energy.
- New reports on weight balancing effects
No precautions or contraindications have noted by Rasmussen (2001)
No toxic effects found on Piper excelsum leaf
UNIQUE RANGE OF KAWAKAWA PRODUCTS
Earth Energies New Zealand Limited
3315 State Highway 2, Mangatarata
07 8673448 0276677710